STOP is a crime prevention program designed to remove the resalablility for thieves. There are at this time 3 versions. The STOP plate, which comes in 2 sizes. One large (the same size as the locking plate) and one small (small enough to fit on some MP3 players. The STOPLock is a lock which has been uniquely designed to work on laptops and decrease the opportunity for theft. This is a new program at Mac, but the company has been around since the early 90's.
STOP Anti-Theft Program FAQ
WHAT IS THE STOP ANTI-THEFT PROGRAM?
WHY WOULD I LOCK MY COMPUTER UP?
HOW DOES IT WORK ?
- The STOP program is a new crime prevention initiative to protect laptops and other valuable items. This program is designed to stop the theft of laptop computers and other valuable items that staff and students may have on campus. For product information check out STOP Security Tracking of Office Property
- STOP utilizes a metal serialized plate that is registered to the owner of the computer. This plate is affixed to the computer and is almost impossible to remove. If someone actually gets the plate off, there is a chemically bonded tattoo under the plate that identifies the computer as a stolen item. The laptop lock has a lock with connects into this plate and allows the laptop to be secured to any fixed item with a long cable.
WHAT IF IT IS STOLEN ?
WHERE DO I GET A STOPLock or STOP Plate?
- If your computer is stolen, the likelihood is that the thief will want to sell it. If the plate is removed there is a permanent tattoo on the computer which says "Stolen". Most people will not purchase an items that has that type of making.
- Also located on the computer is a 1-800 number which will tell you the owner of the laptop as long as you have the serial number. If the person selling the computer isn't the same person that is registered to the computer it will be obvious that it is stolen.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST AND ARE THERE ANY OTHER FEES?
- You may purchase a STOPLock or STOP Plate at the Compass Information Desk in MUSC.
WANT TO REGISTER YOUR NEW STOP PURCHASE
- The STOP Lock cost's $40.00. Each STOP Plate (both sizes) are $25.00. This cost covers the lock or plate, the registration, and the listing on the database. This is also transferable if the owner sells the computer.