Information Box Group
McMaster Security Services continues to utilize technology and electronics to enhance our capabilities in a number of ways in crime prevention, personal and property safety, and during investigations. Security Services have used these resources to prevent many crimes and solve countless criminal acts on campus.
Security Services have a Security and Emergency Technology Division with an expert understanding of McMaster’s electronic security systems. They are also looking for new and innovative ways to use new technology within our systems.
Security technologies currently in use on campus include 1000+ CCTV cameras, card access systems, door and equipment monitoring and panic buttons, as well as a variety of other electronic security devices.
Camera System Installs
- Check out our CCTV Surveillance Policy here
- If you would like permission to have a camera installed, please contact Security Operations Manager at ext. 24281.
Access Control System Installs
- Swipe access to doors using Working@Mac photo id cards are supported in every building on and off campus.
- If you would like request to have a access control installed, please contact Security Technology Administrator
If you would like to learn more about technology or if you would like to have an assessment done of your area, contact Security Operations Manager at ext. 24281.
Photo ID Cards
Staff and Faculty
All McMaster University employees on payroll are eligible for a Photo ID access cards. Please send your employee #, name and a picture of a government issued photo ID (e.g. health card, driver’s license) to Axiomrep. All requests for employee ID cards are verified in Mosaic for valid employment, if your ID does not show you as an active employee in Mosaic we cannot issue you an ID card and you will be directed to please contact Human Resources. Non employees including students, volunteers, visitors or other categories may receive an access card (photo or generic) on a cost-recovery basis, please contact Axiomrep.
You are requested to only attend the office as directed when you card is ready for pickup. No cards will be issued for “Walk Ins”
Please contact Axiomrep if you have further questions
**NEW** Employees can now use their ID card to buy food and make purchases at the Campus Store. Click here for more information about the services connected to your McMaster ID card.
Retirees are encouraged to replace their current blue ID cards with the new Photo ID cards that allow the following services:
- Photo ID
- Access Control (controlled access to various buildings/labs/stairwells)
- Meal Plan (Activated in Commons Building 128)
- Library (ability to get books)
- Pulse (Gym)
Please contact Axiomrep if you have further questions
Electronic Access Adds/Changes/Deletes
For all requests, you may not request changes to your own card. Your supervisor and/or the designated person within your Faculty and/or Department must submit the request.
- If you wish to have door access added to a swipe card or scheduling changes to a door unlock/lock, the approved requestor must contact Axiom Representative via email.
Photo ID Card FAQ
Who requires a Card?
All McMaster University Employees require photo identification cards. These new cards replace the old blue employee cards, which are no longer valid.
Where do I go to get my card?
Please email Axiomrep to start a ticket when requesting a Photo ID card. You will be given instructions where to attend when the card is ready for pickup.
What do I need to bring?
Government-issued photo identification and your employee number are required.
If I require my card to gain access into a card reader door, how do I do this?
Your supervisor or department administrator needs to send an email to email@example.com for your card to be programmed for that specific area.
Do I need to come back for programming?
No. The card programming is done electronically.
I have lost my card, what do I do?
Contact Security Services dispatcher immediately at ext. 24281 and have your card deactivated. You are responsible for any access gained with your card. Our dispatch center is open every minute of every day.
I reported my card lost, but I have now located it, how do I get it to work again?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to have a new card re-issued and/or to have old card re-instated.
I require library privileges. How do I obtain these?
All employees have library borrowing privileges. When you receive your photo identification card, the barcode is your library bar code.
I have a pulse membership programmed to my old blue card. Will this card now work?
Yes. Pulse memberships work from barcodes. This barcode will be printed on your photo identification card and is the same code that was on your blue card.
I am a grad student, how do I get access to restricted lab areas on campus?
Your supervisor must email email@example.com to request an access card be issued along with an account number to be charged. The cost per card is $10.00 for a generic card or $20.00 for a photo card. Please ensure they include a specific list (building and room #s) of the areas they are authorizing you to have access to.
When I present my card to a card reader, the door beeps, but remains red?
Your card is not programmed for that door. Have your supervisor or department administrator email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
When I present my card to the reader, it does nothing, no beeps or anything?
Please ensure the following:
- The card is not being used from inside a wallet/purse/holder of any type, or alongside another card (access card from another facility, credit card, transit pass)
- The card has not been damaged or mutilated (additional holes punched in it). If you have verified the above please email email@example.com to have the issue diagnosed further.
I punched a new hold in my card, now it doesn’t work. Do you know why?
There is an antenna that runs around the interior of the card. Any new hole punched in the card will cause the card to stop functioning and a replacement will be required.
I have heard that I could have a meal plan placed on my card. How do I do this?
Once your card is obtained you can take it to the Mac Express Center in the Commons Building room 128 and apply for a meal card.
I had to obtain a new card, and now my meal plan is not working. What do I do?
You need to take your new card to the Mac Express Center in the Commons Building to have it reactivated.
Are there things I should not do with my card?
- Do not use for any other purpose other than for access control or identification.
- Do not loan your card. You are responsible for all access obtained by its use.
- Do not leave in direct sunlight, for example on the dash of a car.
- Do not expose to extreme heat or open flame. For example, clothes dryers or clothes irons.
- Do not expose to organic solvents, thinners, mineral spirits, etc.
- Do not machine wash.
- Do not use as an ice scraper or scraping tool.
- Do not crimp, bend, or twist card.
- Do not relaminate.
- Do not immerse in alcohol, Isopropyl, ethanol, methyl, etc.
- Do not bite.
- Do not pound with a pen or tool.
- Do not punch a slot or hole.